Han Solo to be Piloted by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller




I decided to do something new for my blog. Whenever a big news drops for an upcoming movie, I'll discuss about it and how I feel. So how much more properly to start with some big news that just dropped today! We all know that Disney had bought Lucasfilm a while back and they are now in the process of creating new Star Wars films including a new trilogy of Episodes VII, VIII, and IX with VII titled The Force Awakens being released this December, along with stand-alone films called the Star Wars Anthologies with their first Rogue One, being released in December 2016. Now another Anthology film has been announced for a release date of May 2018, that being a stand-alone origin story for our favorite smuggler himself, Han Solo. On top of that the film will be directed by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the directing team of the hit 21 Jump Street comedies and The Lego Movie. 

Now how do I feel about this. Well I'm a little torn. On the one hand, like a lot of people, I do feel a little overwhelmed by the amounts of sequels, remakes, reboots, etc of already existing and great franchises. But I would be lying if I said I was not excited of the future Star Wars movies to come. I mean those trailers for The Force Awakens, especially the most recent one, were just awesome! As a major fan of the franchise, I have a right to be super hyped. But with the stand-alone films, I would rather much prefer if they are going to do spin-offs of this franchise, especially one that has such a massive universe for a setting like Star Wars, do something new at least. Make up new stories and characters that we can follow that maybe some how tie in with the original films and characters we know and love. I really like what Rogue One is doing with a feel I hear is supposed to be like Saving Private Ryan or Black Hawk Down. An intense war film set in the Star Wars Universe sounds really interesting! I would like to see what other genres or stories we can tell in this world. I do not really like the idea of prequels or showing the story of a character when they were young. That hardly ever does well. I mean look at Hannibal Rising, or staying on topic The Phantom Menace. 

But I am curious to see who will they get to play this young Han Solo. Since this film does tie in to the Star Wars canon, I wonder if they will have this new actor do his own thing will making small homages to Harrison Ford's performance here and there, or will they just make the actor do a straight up Ford-Solo impression to fit with the continuity. That I am curious to know. I guess you can say I am looking forward to it, and wait to judge till I see the movie. I won't blindly and automatically deem it awesome or bash it completely and automatically deem it crap like many "smart" and "intellectual" commentators on the internet, I'll wait and see.

Plus so far I really liked Lord and Miller's work whether it would be the Jump Street movies or The Lego Movie. Hearing about this I feel like they are going more of a comedy edge to this movie, which for the character of Han Solo, I say it sort of fits because of his snarky one-liners and quips. But for all I know that may not be the case. I mean look at Joe and Anthony Russo who directed Marvel Studios' Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and that turned out to be a great action thriller in the disguise of a comic book superhero film. And now they are directing Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 and 2. Those guys were known for doing comedies like the TV show Community, now they are helming probably the biggest action blockbusters of all time. Maybe Lord and Miller have more up their sleeve besides comedy. Anyway, I look forward to what they shoot at us! 

Post a Comment

0 Comments