Batman V Superman Comic-Con Trailer!




This weekend at San Diego Comic-Con, a trailer was shown during the panel for the upcoming Warner Bros./DC superhero blockbuster, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. The trailer was met with mighty reception by the fans in Hall H, where the panel took place. I guess the trailer was so good in fact that Warner Bros. was comfortable to releasing their trailer online. So I sat down watched the trailer, and what did I think about it. I really, really, REALLY loved it! Keep in mind this only a trailer, not the film. As always the film can go either way, it can be a horrible mess or it can be a cinematic classic. Zack Snyder returns to direct this film after he had did 2013's Man of Steel, and though I was not biggest fan of that film, though lately I have been seeing little more of its strengths, judging from this trailer that Warner Bros. and DC gave us, I am pretty excited for this movie!

A lot of the scenes shown in the trailer are shot wonderfully, especially some of the smaller ones like Superman, played again by Henry Cavill, going to court, or some of the shots with Ben Affleck's Batman in it. Speaking of which we should talk about him. This trailer does a great job in telling us why Batman is going after the Man of Steel. We see in the trailer that because of the big brawl between Superman and Zod in Man of Steel, a lot of downtown Metropolis has been destroyed, including one of the towers for Bruce's own Wayne Enterprises. This obviously ignited some rage into Bruce, because probably some of his good close friends that maybe part of the only family he has left may have died in that building. On top of that we know the guilt and pain he still might feel over his parents' death, and from a little Easter egg in the trailer, a nice one at that for a Batman nerd like me to geek out that, a Robin suit vandalized by the Joker, indicating that sometime in the past, the Clown Prince of Crime had murdered the Boy Wonder. So Batman must be sick at this point losing the people he calls family to villains and disasters, and he sees Superman as just that.

On the other hand, they present a good reason why Superman should go after Batman. He sees Batman as a vigilante who disobeys ethics and the law and spreads fear rather than justice. While Superman is being criticized for bringing destruction to Metropolis, he sees Batman as a threat because he does not do justice the right, and for a lack of a better term, the just way.

We also get to see glimpses of Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. I know a lot of people are on the fence on this, but here's the thing Eisenberg is really good actor! Watch The Social Network if you don't believe me. I really don't mind seeing this type of Lex Luthor. I know a lot of people wanted a much older Luthor, but c'mon we already had two middle-aged Lex Luthor from Gene Hackman and Kevin Spacey, who in all respect both did great jobs. But I like changes and new spins. Plus, I love couple of the lines he says in the trailer. My personal favorites being "Black and blue. God vs man. Day vs night!" and "The red capes are coming!" The latter especially I love and I saying it to myself over and over again. I love the way he says it mostly. It's a great mixture of playfulness, sarcasm, and insanity. A peek at the kind of Lex Luthor this film is going to give us. 

There are also some shots of Gal Gadot finally in scenes we can see her dressed up as Wonder Woman. Though I'm still not sure if Gadot has the credibility to portray such an iconic role, it's still pretty awesome to at least see who is unarguably the most iconic female superhero of all time, finally on the big screen. The shots with her I must say look great. She may look okay in action scenes, it's just her acting that has to win me over. 

The only criticism I have with the trailer is the scene with Superman talking to his Earth mother, Martha Kent, played by Diane Lane. The line she says "People fear what they don't understand" irks me because it is such a highly cliched line used in movies. I just hope this film does not contain loads of heavy, tired, and worn out scenes of cliched and pretentious dialogue, which was one of the problems I had with Man of Steel. But luckily this film had switched screenwriters to the writer of the Oscar-winning film Argo, Chris Terrio, and that film happened to also be directed by Batman himself, Ben Affleck. 

Other than that the scenes were shot beautifully, the action scenes looked spectacular, looks like a lot of stakes are raised, the DC Cinematic Universe is finally growing, and it looks like Marvel has some competition. By the way, I am not on either one's side as I find the whole online Marvel vs DC fanboy wars to be idiotic and childish. I want to enjoy and see comic book superhero movies from both regardless of which studio. I am pretty excited and will not miss this epic showdown!

You can watch the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWzgGyAH6Y

Post a Comment

0 Comments